|Start/Finish Westcott, TQ 141/486
Total distance 26.2km
Total ascent 613m
Time 2-4 hours
Maps OS Landranger (1:50K) No. 187 Dorking & Reigate
Summary Explore the chalky beech tree trails through Ranmore Common, sandy pine forest tracks in Pitch and Holmbury Hill, before heading back down the valley.
1. From Nirvana Cycles go along Balchins Lane, keeping left, then go right on a bridleway to a cross tracks and turn right, over the railway, uphill. Keep ahead, joining a wider track, then left at a cross tracks, on the bridleway along the top, to a road. Turn right then left on the bridleway and follow this to forest track/cross tracks and go left. Continue on this wide track, eventually coming to stables.
2. Keep ahead, turning left at the end of the stables (or right to the mini death bowl, on the sharp corner of the road), on the bridleway, past the bins, downhill. Take care over the rooty section in the middle of the track near the road at the bottom. Go left before the road, then right, under the road and left. Turn right into Shere.
3. Turn right on Pathfields Road as you exit the village, keeping ahead on a bridleway into the woods. Keep left at two forks, uphill
to a road then right at the junction, over the railway.
Turn right on a bridleway immediately after and keep right, alongside the railway, to a lane by houses. Turn right.
4. Bear left, past houses, on sandy track, that becomes Tarmac. When this bears right keep ahead on bridleway. Stay left as you join a wide track, left at fork by house, and keep left at the next fork, to/across a road. Continue along the bridleway, joining a road and keep right into Peaslake village. NOTE: See the Classic route to extend the ride, to explore the trails on Holmbury Hill, such as Golden Birdies, Telegraph road and the T-trails on Pitch Hill.
5. Go left on the road by Peaslake village stores, follow this road to Burrows Cross. Turn right on a dead end road, just as the road bears left. Keep ahead on bridleway, into the trees and downhill. Go right at the bottom, to the A25. Go right on this then shortly left on a minor road.
Go right on a bridleway following the NCN route signs along the valley bottom. Keep ahead, over a road, along the edge of Deerleap Wood, and continue on to retrace your tracks to Westcott. |
|Start/Finish Coombe Hill car park,
Total distance 33km (20.5 miles)
Total ascent 697m (2286 feet)
Total time 2-4 hours
Maps OS Landranger 1:50k 165 Aylesbury & Leighton Buzzard, OS Explorer 1:25k 181 Chiltern Hills North. Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50k Southern England & Wales (GPS)
Summary Trimmed version of Classic route, ideal for a quicker blast.
From car park follow track northeast for 250m to junction. Fork right to descend for 1.5km to road. Descend towards Wendover, over main road and along High Street. Turn right onto Back Street and first right onto Hale Road. Follow for 750m to crossroads then left onto Hogtrough Lane.
Follow lane for 1km to trail junction. Take left-hand bridleway and climb for 2km to road. Turn right then keep right for 1.2km until road swings left. Continue onto track between fields for 1km to road. Carry straight on for 500m then turn right onto track at edge of woodland. Descend to farm then follow farm track to road. Head straight down road to T-junction. Turn left then straight over roundabout (take care, fast traffic).
Follow minor road for 600m then carry on up Icknield Way Path when lane swings left. At top of hill turn left on bridleway. Cross road to continue on bridleway for 600m. Turn right and descend. Join track then turn left between buildings. Descend to road then left onto bridleway. At trail junction take bridleway to right. Cross road and follow bridleway along field edge then parallel to road for 200m.
Cross road to trail opposite and climb. At junction turn right on bridleway, climbing then descending to A4010. Turn left then first left onto track. Follow for 1.4km to car park. Take bridleway running parallel to road. Go straight over at junction and descend to road. Cross over to join trail alongside road. At exit of field take bridleway opposite.
At junction turn right and follow bridleway for 1.2km to lane. Continue on for 600m then turn left onto bridleway. Descend then climb to gain ridge. Turn left and follow bridleway along ridge for 3.5km before turning left to finish.