WMB141.Isle of Wight_Easy
Start/Finish Compton Down car park, SZ 366/854
Total distance 19km (11.8 miles)
Total ascent 405m
Time 1.5-2.5 hours
Maps OS Landranger (1:50K) No 196 The Solent & Isle of Wight.
Summary A gentle introduction to the island, with great views, no great technical challenge, but a couple of steep hills.
1. Turn right on the road then right on a bridleway after 100m. There are steps at the start, then a steep uphill to a golf course at the top and three-way junction with wide tracks (right goes uphill, and left goes downhill). Keep ahead, then bear left and downhill.
2. Turn right at the junction before the clubhouse, left of the barn and immediately left to the hidden bridleway in the corner. Keep ahead, between the fields, through a gate and right to a road. Go left then immediately right on another road (The Causeway). Follow this to just before a bridge by the water and turn right on the cycle track.
3. Keep ahead/right to a road at the end and go right on this then left after 1km on a road to Wellow. Turn in the village (signed as cycle route). Turn right shortly after a left-hand bend, on a bridleway, keeping straight ahead, climbing gradually. Bear left on a road, then immediately right off it, uphill to the B3399 road.
4. Cross the road and follow grassy track uphill, turning left before a gate near the top. Keep right at T-junction, downhill to and over a road. Turn right at fork just beyond the barrier, and continue uphill. Right at the top, through a gate and bear right down to and through a gate.
5. Follow the sunken grassy track downhill to the left, through a gate and over the road. Keep right on the chalky doubletrack steeply uphill, becoming worn grassy track at the top. Follow the doubletrack through the golf course, to a fork and turn left on the grassy track you came up before. Go downhill, watch out for steps at the bottom, and left on road, back to the car park.by wmbsu