Copy of WMB136.Dartmoor moderate
Start/Finish North Bovey, churchyard car park, SX740/838
Total distance 23.8km (14.8 miles)
Total ascent 960m (3150 ft)
Total time 2.5-5 hours
Maps OS Landranger No.191 1:50K Okehampton and N Dartmoor, Harveys Dartmoor for Cyclists, Garmin GB Discoverer 1:25K Dartmoor and
Summary Rocky ride with steep and technical sections. Can be ridden when wet, but confidence will be higher when it’s dry.
1. From the car park turn right to pub and right again, continuing on road until it becomes a track. Go left past a house and continue past Peck Farm, up a steep grassy climb, becoming rocky. Go through a gate and bear slightly left to and along the top, with the valley to right, becoming very rocky downhill.
2. Take a right by/before gate, uphill, and keep left at fork. Continue to a T-junction and turn right, then right at fork. At crossroads go downhill on a bridleway. Cross the bridge, left uphill to/right on the road, and left on bridleway after 1km. Continue uphill to/right on road, then left on byway, becoming downhill. Turn left through gate going uphill before becoming rocky technical downhill.
3. Cross bridge, to start steep climb to the open moors. Go down then uphill, turning right past/alongside a wall (before the top), on singletrack downhill. Turn left on road, then right on road past Hound Tor car park (and snack van). Keep right at fork then right after the gate, for grassy climb.
4. Keep left to the rocks (Tor) at the top and then bear right, downhill to road junction. Turn left to Manaton and left at crossroads. Keep ahead, then left at top, before right at fork, becoming rough track. Go right on grassy track uphill just through the gate, with a wall on your right. Keep right at the top (following the wall).
5. Bear left on faint track (or left at a gate, keep woods on your right) and follow singletrack downhill. Turn left on to the road to North Bovey. Turn right on byway before the bridge. Cross the ford and go left on the road, uphill and left again by the pub, back to car park.by 112233