Search Bicycle Trails
Found 1 routes in 0.0051s
WMB140.Lake District_Easy Ride ||
||Sep 20th 2012, 11:25
|Start/Finish Car park off the A591, NY366059
Total distance 17.4km
Total ascent 543m (1780 feet)
Time 1-2 hours
Maps OS Explorer OL7 The Lake District: SE area, OS Landranger 90 Penrith & Keswick.
Summary Less technical than the others but still features a decent amount of climbing and descending. An ideal Lakes taster.
1. If you’re using the Bike Bus, get off at the Rydal Church bus stop north of Ambleside. From there, head south towards Ambleside on the A591 for 250m before turning right over a small humpback bridge and then immediately right again onto lane and over cattle grid. Continue to car park.
2. From the car park head back down the lane towards the road, over the cattle grid and turn right at the end. Follow road for 1.8km then turn right onto bridleway. Climb past Brow Head Farm and continue as track surface deteriorates. Stay on the obvious track once you’re out of the trees.
3. At the top of the climb fork left and descend towards southwest past Ivy Crag. Keep right to stay north of wall for short climb. Descend to minor road. Turn right on road, then right again. Follow the road northwest, keep left at first fork then right at second fork.
4. At T-junction with B5343 turn right for 400m then left onto minor road. After 600m fork right then right again up a lane. At the top of the climb carry straight on over junction. Continue on lane as it turns into bridleway and follow to rejoin B5343. Turn right and follow road to Chapel Stile.
5. Fork left onto minor road past church and climb to Youth Hostel. Continue on road for 300m, descending to junction. Turn left then right onto Loughrigg Terrace bridleway. Descend on bridleway and follow alongside (and briefly in) Rydal Water to return to car park. |